Choosing the right camera for jewelry photography is very essential. There are various kinds of cameras available for jewelry photography. It all depends on your preference, budget and workplace.
if you are shooting jewelry, such as rings, necklaces, earrings, etc for magazines, you will require a DSLR camera body as well as a professional lens.
If you are a blogger and publish your jewelry photographs on websites, then you can go for mirrorless cameras.
In this article, I have listed 10 jewelry photography cameras. I can only hope they help you find the camera you are looking for.
Best Camera for Jewelry Photography: Top Picks
1. Canon EOS 70D DSLR Camera
This DSLR camera has all the features you require for jewelry photography, such as wifi, live picture processing channels and many more.
It has an amazing retractable touch screen with the ability to auto-focus with your finger, just like in smartphones. The touch screen makes it incredibly simple to change the camera settings, which is beneficial for all photographers in this genre.
This camera has the exact and straightforward way to change the ISO range and white balance, making it perfect for jewelry photography.
It can record up to 7ps in full resolution, a full HD 1080p video recording system and quickening AF speed.
The canon eos 70D has a 20-megapixel crop sensor and is much more pocket friendly than other Canon products.
The macro performance of Canon eos depends on the lens you are using. If you have an 18-135 mm lens, then the camera will capture a well-detailed image.
- This camera has a low shutter lag. This allows you to shoot pictures continuously without any delay.
- Great quality images.
- This camera offers high resolution and very low noise.
- It has a large viewfinder with on-demand guides.
- It has a built-in wifi function.
- Fully articulated touchscreen display.
- Auto lighting optimizer.
- There is no built-in GPS.
- The shot-to-shot times in live view are slow.
- There is no in-camera panorama stitching.
It is an excellent camera with many advantages and quite a few limitations. It is a good addition to your jewelry photography camera collection. The many features of this camera are not only apt for professional photographers but they are attractive to beginners as well.
2. Nikon Coolpix P900
The Nikon Coolpix P900 is an excellent camera for beginners in jewelry photography and other genres of photography as well.
This economical dazzler includes a strong electronic viewfinder, various modes, flip-out pivoting high-resolution LCD, GPS and Wifi.
Since the primary points of interest of the camera are in the kit lens, other lens settings are not thought of.
This camera has a 16 MP CMOS sensor.
The highlight of this model is the 24-2000 mm lens with 83x optical zoom. It also comes with a built-in lens with a 35 mm equivalent focal length of 24-2000 mm.
This camera also has 166x dynamic fine zoom and 332x digital zoom.
- The image stabilization of this camera is excellent.
- The image quality given by this camera is worth purchasing.
- There is a new decreased arrangement of VR vibrations and with the use of a tripod, there will be no issues regarding vibrations.
- Even in low-light conditions, this camera produces amazing results.
- It has built-in wireless and GPS.
- Fully articulated screen.
- Full manual controls.
- Electronic viewfinder with 921k dots.
- The camera is large and heavy for long-hour shoots.
- This camera does not offer RAW support.
- Among different accessories, an external charger is not included.
This camera is best suited for photographs that get uploaded on a website and also for professional photography of small jewelry items.
This camera has too many advantages and economical benefits to let go of!
3. Sony ALPHA SLT-A77 DSLR camera
This DSLR camera has some amazing camera settings, and extraordinary qualities and provides excellent performance.
The rear of this camera has a 5-inch OLED viewfinder and a 3-inch turn LCD screen.
Since the viewfinder is electronic and not optical, you can see the impact of your camera settings and improve your product photography.
Also, the best lens for jewelry photography you should have with this camera is the Sony 100 mm f/2,8 full-scale lens.
The dual control dials on this camera provide direct and hands-on access to two camera settings at one time.
This camera has a 24.3-megapixel sensor APS-C. It can shoot up to 12 frames per second at a full resolution of 24.3 megapixels with continuous autofocus.
For macro performance, the Sony 100 mm F 2.8 macro lenses and Sony 50 mm F 2.8 macro lenses work beautifully.
- This camera provides Ultra-high-speed shooting.
- It has a high-resolution sensor.
- Many accessible accessories.
- It has a solid build quality that lasts in long-term effects.
- It provides fast shot shooting.
- The major con that many photographers deal with in this camera is low battery life.
- Some also believe that the menu layout of this camera is not as good as one might have hoped.
It is one of the best cameras for jewelry photography with a magnesium body that combines high strength as well as lightweight. This camera is perfect for experienced photographers.
4. Nikon D7200 DSLR Camera
Nikon D7200 is an extraordinary camera for jewelry photography among its other contenders.
This is a fantastic APS-C camera with a huge ISO range capacity going from 100 to 25600 and 102400 in black and white mode, proving to be very useful in jewelry photography.
The D7200 does not have an optical low pass filter, thus producing remarkable pure, sharp images and videos.
It has a larger buffer capacity that can handle up to approximately 100 shots of continuous shooting.
This DSLR camera provides excellent colour multiplication, sharpness and openness, particularly at a lower ISO range.
This camera has a 24.2 megapixel DX-format CMOS image sensor that works together with EXPEED 4 image processing, along with the NIKKOR lenses to enhance detail and tonality.
The strongest macro lenses for Nikon D7200 are Tokina AT-X 100 mm and the Tamron AF 60 mm. As these are prime lenses, they will provide you with some of the best image quality for your photographs.
You can use the manual focus ring on the lens to quickly tweak the focus level of the image to get the perfect shot.
- It has an optical viewfinder that is “pentaprism”.
- It has dual SD card slots to store more images.
- It has a Wifi built-in.
- This camera offers 1.3x crop mode which can be very beneficial.
- It has a 51-point autofocus system.
- Weather-sealed body.
- Optional battery grip available if needed.
- It has a fixed screen.
- The display screen is not touch-sensitive.
The many features of this camera point to the fact that it is one of the best cameras for jewelry photography, especially EBAY-related photographs. It is also very desirable to shoot photographs of tiny jewelry items.
5. Fujifilm X-M1 Mirrorless Digital Camera
Fuji has a 16-megapixel X-TRANS with no smoothing channel which ensures low commotion at high affectibility and great image sharpness.
It has a moving screen and a Wifi framework.
In this camera, you can set the shutter speed for as long as 30 seconds, which is helpful for jewelry photography.
Furthermore, it gives a great spotlight on fixed articles. It also allows you to capture low-light scenes with fresh lucidity.
Because of the X-TRANS CMOS sensor design, there is no requirement for an optical low pass filter channel.
It has a 16-megapixel X-TRANS CMOS sensor design.
You can use the Fujifilm XF 80 mm F 2.8 OIS WR and Fujifilm 60 mm F 2.4 R macro lenses. Fujifilm X-M1 does not have a sensor based image stabilization, but the Fujifilm XF 80 mm does.
These lenses capture amazing detail.
- This camera offers great JPEG processing.
- You can capture excellent high ISO range images with this camera.
- It has a sharp kit lens.
- Built-in flash.
- It has dual control wheels that allow you to handle more than one setting at a time.
- It allows you to shoot at 5.5 fps.
- It does not have an electronic viewfinder option.
- The shutter lag in this camera is quite noticeable.
- It is a bit slow while turning on.
This camera is minimized and lighter than a common model of DSLR, but its resolution is matching the other models.
It is a portable camera that allows you to comfortably carry it wherever you want. Hence, you can shoot without a tripod and not worry about the camera shake destroying your outcome.
However, the shutter lag and the slow turning on is quite the turn-off.
6. Sony A5000 Digital Camera
This Sony DSLR is the complete package for all the jewelry photographers out there. It comes with a 16-50 mm long-range focal point that allows you to take sharp images in auto mode as well as the manual mode.
It has a self-picture cordial zoom switch and 180 degrees tilting screen which allows you to see the shots as you take them and make your quality and simple photographing, astonishing!
It has a 20-megapixel sensor APS-C framework of the Canon.
For large-scale shooting, the 55-210 mm lens from Sony is a choice tough to beat. This is the only camera of a minimal size that allows the installation of such lenses.
This camera also includes the collapsible 16-50 mm power zoom as the kit lens.
- It allows continuous shooting at 4 fps.
- It has built-in Wifi and one-contact NFC so that you can share your images quicker on social media.
- It has a tilting rear display.
- The camera allows quick autofocus and improved metering among its many features.
- The camera body is compact and so is the lens.
- This camera does not have an electronic viewfinder.
- The burst rate of the camera is slow.
- It does not come with an external charger included.
Capturing amazing jewelry photos on this camera is for both casual photographs as well as the experts.
7. Olympus PEN E-PL7
This is among the best cameras for jewelry photography in the mirrorless camera range. It has all the features starting from the abilities of manual mode to RAW support.
It has a strong 81-point autofocus framework with the goodness of a Wifi system and a screen that folds 180 degrees.
The self-adjust framework of this camera can take 8 frames per second at full resolution with each image being sharp and clear.
With the Wifi system and the Olympus image share application, you can control the camera from your cell phone and post pictures immediately.
It is also equipped with a touch screen shutter release, descending opening touch screen and three-axis picture adjust which comes is very reliable.
It has a 16.1-megapixel Micro-Four-Thirds sensor.
For an extraordinary experience in macro photography you can use the lens Olympus ED 60 mm f2.8 or the Olympus 30 mm F 3.5 for photographing jewelry.
- It has in-body image stabilization.
- Very economical.
- Tilting touch screen display.
- It has an accessory port for an optional electronic viewfinder.
- Gives quick focus.
- Produces high-quality images.
- Does not have a built-in flash.
- It has only a single control dial.
- You cannot shoot video at 60 fps.
With this camera, you can shoot from fascinating angles because of its folding screen that allows you to unleash all the imagination and skill gathered inside you. This is the best camera for product photography at a very reasonable price.
8. Nikon D800 DSLR
This camera has a tremendous measure of manual settings and delivers high-resolution images.
This camera could the “one” for you if you intend to publish your photos in different magazines.
This camera has a full outline 36-megapixel sensor.
The AF-S Nikkor 105 mm lens is quite impressive for Macro photography and it works very well.
- It has a high-resolution full-frame sensor.
- It gives you fast focus and excellent performance.
- It has dual card slots.
- The camera produces exceptionally detailed images.
- Gives full RAW support.
- It has manual audio controls.
- The camera has a small grip.
This camera is an extraordinary choice, especially for RAW shooters who are in a situation to control the lights, distance, and their subject to moderate the surroundings.
It is a bit extravagant when it comes to the price, but it allows you to take brilliant jewelry photos.
9. Canon EOS Rebel T7i DSLR
This camera offers a live view AF framework with an optical viewfinder to precisely see what you’re going to photograph.
It has a 45-point cross-type AF and a double-pixel CMOS AF with phase detection. It also has a touch screen.
It has a 24-megapixel APS-C image sensor.
For a good Macro performance, you will need at least a 62 mm lens or a Canon EF 50 mm lens.
- It offers a dual-pixel autofocus in live view.
- It has a Vari-angle touch LCD.
- It allows you to burst shoot at 6 fps.
- Built-in Wifi function.
- Fantastic and long lasting battery life.
- Lightweight to carry.
- The viewfinder is small in size.
- Does not offer video more than 1080 p.
This camera is really incredible for jewelry photography as it has marvellous image quality and movable canon camera settings. This camera works for both amateurs and experts.
10. Sony Alpha a58 DSLR
The Sony alpha provides quick execution up to 5 fps full-resolution for ceaseless shooting.
The BIONZ picture processor and the sensor are additionally benefitted by the novel Translucent mirror technology, which viably directs light to both the focus sensor as well as the image sensor at the same time.
This camera offers 15-direct AF framework that works persistently even while recording video and capturing photos in continuous shooting mode.
This camera delivers clear images even with low light affectibility to ISO range 16000.
It has a 20.1-megapixel APS-C-sized Exmor HD APS CMOS sensor.
The macro performance of Sony a58 totally depends on the lens mounted. With the kit lens of 18-55 mm, the A58 captures minimum measuring with the lens set at 55 mm, which is slightly smaller for kit lenses.
- It has a comfortable handgrip.
- Offers great image quality and video quality.
- Long lasting battery life.
- It has only one control dial.
- The kit lens is not that useful, so you might want to invest in other lenses.
Sony Alpha a58 is one of the classic DSLR cameras that mixes high image execution with natural highlights to accomplish amazing outcomes for jewelry photography.
How to choose a camera for jewelry photography
DSLR cameras allow you to get the entire product in focus by controlling the aperture setting. You can photograph any type of jewelry by using a recent model of a DSLR camera.
You can choose your DSLR camera for jewelry photography based on the different features, your budget and the look of the final product that you prefer.
If you are an outdoor product photographer and in search of lighter and portable cameras then a mirrorless camera is your ideal choice.
However, when it comes to battery life, DSLR cameras have a significant advantage over a mirrorless cameras for jewelry photography, especially if there are long hours of shooting in front of you. Although, you can carry extra batteries to overcome this hurdle.
For a firmer grip, while photographing jewellery, a mirrorless camera offers a whole line of additional grips and even battery grips to minimize the effect of a smaller body.
Point and shoot cameras
Point and shoot cameras are not highly recommended for jewelry photography.
While you can get similar megapixels in point-and-shoot cameras, the advantage of a DSLR camera or a mirrorless camera is that you can tweak the settings like shutter speed and aperture to match your lighting and the product you are shooting.
Point and shoot cameras could work for larger items such as necklaces as they don’t require close-up shots.
You can use your smartphone for jewelry photography, but it depends on the type of smartphone you have.
However, if image quality is your biggest concern, then investing in a professional-grade camera and a macro lens would be a better option as smartphone cameras will never be able to compete with professional optics.
If you are shooting using a smartphone, there are a couple of things you need to keep in mind. Such as, understanding your camera lens.
If your smartphone has a single lens, it will likely be a wide-angle lens. If your smartphone has two or more lenses, then one of them might be a telephoto lens.
Telephoto lenses are highly preferred for jewelry photography and for supporting optical zoom.
When it comes to image quality, smartphones have their limitations when shooting jewelry photography.
Focal length and depth of field is also important aspect to look into in jewelry photography. An iPhone sensor is about 35 times smaller than a professional full-frame camera sensor. Hence, smartphones have a massive depth of field.
Using an iPhone will be fruitful and easier when getting a ring in focus from front to back than it is with a professional-grade camera.
Megapixel count is one of the many things that are important in product photography. Especially if you are looking forward to displaying them on billboards.
When it comes to megapixels, any camera option with a resolution between 40 MP to 100 MP or more is perfect for jewelry photography.
Bluetooth is used to wirelessly connect your DSLR to your phone so that you can keep photographing jewelry remotely. Also, view images on your camera that you have already taken and edit those images as well.
If your camera has an in-built Bluetooth, it can also function by connecting your camera to your smartphone via the same method as well.
This wireless connection can turn out to be a real game-changer when it comes to photographing and sharing your photos instantly.
Wifi is available on most modern cameras. It is a very useful addition to the features of the cameras.
The useful thing about having Wifi on your camera is that you can transfer photos wirelessly to any smart device.
You can store and save your images outside your camera via dropbox, iCloud or one drive.
You can also connect two cameras via Wifi connection. All you have to do is go into settings and enable the Wifi settings and you will see options for connecting.
To take amazing jewelry photos, you need an amazing lens. There are two things you need to keep in mind.
1. Purchase a camera for jewelry photography that already has a stock lens meant for taking jewelry shots.
2. If you don’t get a stock lens with the camera body, then invest in another lens. However, investing in another lens might get costlier for you.
So you can choose to buy macro lenses as some of them can manually focus and offer effective focal length for taking some amazing jewelry photos.
Now it all depends on you to make the right choice according to your preference and workplace demand.
Photographing jewelry needs skill and imagination. Choosing the right camera and the right lens will turn your imagination into reality.