Gimbals help capture motion videos with utmost smoothness and stability. After all a shaky video is quite irritating. Due to a wide range of GoPro gimbals available, selecting the best one for your GoPro might be very difficult. Some of the big names are EVO, Feiyu Tech, Lanparte, Zhiyun etc. Each one of these brands has a vast array of gimbals.
In this post, we’ll talk about some of the GoPro gimbals available on the market today.
Best GoPro Gimbals
1. EVO GP-PRO 3 Axis GoPro Handheld Gimbal
It works with all hero 3, 3 +, 4 silver, 4 black, 5 black, 5 session and 6 models. The setup is very simple and it is easy to use. There is no software installation needed. You just have to plug the GoPro to the gimbal and start shooting. It was introduced in January 2016.
It is light-weight and has an upgraded 4 way thumb stick to help control the gimbal’s pan, tilt and roll axes for shooting compact scenarios or unique angles. It comes with 3 different stabilization modes: full follow which follows all the movements, pan follow which follows only pan movements and lock where it doesn’t follow any movement made by the photographer. You can connect your smartphone at the bottom of the handle and use it as a monitoring screen to have live view of your video.
The product boasts a 5 hour battery, built in camera charging, and also is compatible with tripods.
It is built with aircraft grade-aluminum making it highly durable.
It has 4 different shooting modes: heading follow, heading lock, heading and pitch follow mode and inverted mode. The only setback is its expensive cost.
- 3-Axis Precision: The EVO GP-PRO allows you to effortlessly shoot pro-quality, cinematic like footage with your GoPro or similar action camera.
- Easy Setup: Plug & Play out of the box. Features high power, high torque motors for reliable smooth footage under the most demanding conditions.
- Extend Camera Battery Life: The GP-PRO features a built in charging cable to extend your GoPro's battery life which also allows pass video through to an external monitor using the 3.5mm AV output jack on the handle (For GoPro Hero3/4 Cameras only)
- Versatility: The EVO GP-PRO supports a wide range of action cameras including the popular GoPro Hero5 Black, Garmin Virb Ultra 30, YI 4K & 4K+, SJCAM4000-7000 as well as the GoPro Hero 3, Hero 3+, Hero4 Black/Silver models.
- Unprecedented Warranty: Backed by a 1 Year USA Parts and Labor Warranty the GP-PRO comes complete with a charger, USB charge cable, (2) Camera Charging Cables (Hero3/4 Only) and (2) 18650 Li-Ion batteries good for 4-5 hours of extended battery life
2. EVO GP 3 Axis GoPro Handheld Gimbal
It is considered as the best gimbal out there. This is one of the very few Gimbals in which the software is already configured so you can start shooting with it directly out of the box. It is made from light-weight aluminum frame.
The high torque triple wound motors along with the HD position encoders allow the gimbal to achieve incredible stabilization. With a battery life of up to 4 hours, it offers 4 modes: Heading follow, heading lock, heading and pitch follow and inverted. Mostly compatible with GoPro Hero 3/3+/ 4.
It is not compatible with a tripod.
3. Feiyu Tech G4- QD Quick Dismantling 3 axis GoPro gimbal
It requires two batteries to run. This gimbal is also not compatible with a tripod as the power button is located at the bottom. There are 4 modes: panning, panning/tilting, full axis lock and inverted. But there are many restrictions in these modes compared to the EVO GP PR0 -3.
- This is the Latest Model of the Feiyu G4-QD One Button 3-Axis Handheld Gimbal
- No longer just for the GoPro, the new Feiyu G4-QD can be used with the GoPro and all similar action cameras from 33mm-46mm tall and as thick as a GoPro with an LCD Backpack attached
- All new Quick Disbursement feature Allows for Easily Connecting and Disconnecting the GoPro or Similar Action Cam
- Compatible with the Feiyu extension bars and Remote
- 320 Degree Pan/Tilt Rotation, 100 Degree Roll Rotation
4. Feiyu Tech FYG5
This is one of the first waterproof handheld gimbal, ideal for GoPro Hero 5. However, it is compatible with the previous GoPro models also and most preferable for shooting videos near waters. It has an upgraded uni-body arm, allowing it to be steadier. The battery runs up to 8 hours. You can also take smooth and great selfies with its self-timer feature.
- The Trailblazer of Splash-Proof Gimbals
- Direct Accesses to Infinite Functions
- Compatible with Various Action Cameras
- Unibody Motor Arm with Utmost Structural Solidness
- Smarter Gimbal, Smart SY Setting App
5. Feiyu Tech WG2 Waterproof Wearable Gimbal
It boasts of a waterproof design and up to ten minutes underwater. It has a special technology to stabilize movements made by underwater currents. This feature makes it ideal for shooting water sports and videos where water is involved. But there are restrictions to this feature, as it cannot go below 1 meter. The battery life is about 2.5 hours. It offers a movement of 360 degrees panning and pitching.
- EXCELLENT WATERPROOF TECHNOLOGY: The WG2 is verified IP67-Level waterproof with its enhanced structural water resistance. It can work in as deep as 0.5 meters under water, good for scuba diving, surfing and filming in the rain etc.
- AUTO-ROTATION: The WG2 can follow a planned rotation route that has been set manually, making complicated time-lapse photography easier and more fun.
- 360 DEGREE ROTATING: The WG2 restructures its industrial design to enable 360 degrees limitless rotating in both tilting and rolling axes. The Feiyu ON APP or a Bluetooth remote control can easily change filming angles, enabling imaginative, inspiring and creative photography.
- GREATER CAMERA COMPATIBILITY: Compatible with GoPro 4/GoPro 3+/GoPro 3 without backpack LCD/YI 4K/SJCAM/AEE and cameras of a similar size to GoPro. The maximum payload is 130g. It is also compatible with Hero4/5 Session by mounting session fixture.
- OPTIMIZED ALGORITHM: Optimized algorithm for the use of wearable stabilizer scene, improves the anti-jamming and computing ability of the sensor in high-frequency jitter and high-speed motion.
6. Feiyu Tech G6
According to some reviews this is the most advanced gimbal in the market. This is a 3 axis gimbal compatible with GoPro hero 7/ Hero 6/ Hero 5/ Hero 4/Hero 3+/ Hero 3 and other action cameras having the similar dimensions like the Yi 4K etc, but it is most suitable for GoPro due to its screw-type mounting plate and also because video shot when using this gimbal and GoPro 6 is very stable and smooth.
This gimbal has solved the problem of balancing a second camera, as it uses a sliding iron. One of the highlights of this gimbal is that it offers both Bluetooth and WIFI. It weighs around 336g and boasts a battery life of 12 hours. It offers a splashproof design and comes with an inbuilt OLED display.
The gimbal motor noise may cause some disturbance at times as it is very close to the on-board mic, but if you mount an external mic on the side of the handle than it won’t be much of a problem and you will get better sound quality. It offers 4 shooting modes: Lock Mode, Pan Following, selfie mode, trail time-lapse mode and panoramic mode.
- 【CAUTION】 Please set the Gopro Hero 5 / 6 to lower the noise when taking video. Set "Raw Audio Track" into "High". Set "Manual Audio Control" into "Wind Only". Also, try to mount Hero 5 in reverse position, leave mic input far away from the motor helps.
- 【Compatibility】G6 works with Sony RX0 / GoPro Hero 6/Hero 5 / HERO4 / HERO3+ / HERO3 / Yi 4K / AEE and other action cameras that have similar dimensions. However, the function in the app may not be comprehensive if used with other action cameras except Gopro Hero 6 / 5 and Sony RX0.
- 【Wifi + Blue Tooth ( Dual Working Mode)】While connecting Gopro Hero 6 / Hero 5 / RX0’s wifi, G6 can connect smartphone via Bule Tooth at the same time. Lateral positioning with 1/4 Hole + Dowel Pin allows a smartphone setting up in the G6 by mobile device support which turns the phone into a viewfinder. Allows all the specifications be set in Feiyu On App
- 【Feiyu On App】With connecting Gopro Hero 6 / Hero 5 wifi, G6 can control the camera to take video / photo and set up frame rate, resolution, view width. When connecting RX0’s wifi, G6 can control the camera to take video / photo and set up white balance, ISO.
- 【TimeLapse】Shooting nodes can be set at random, creating a special trail time-lapse photography. Manually set up the start, the finish and the rotation route in auto-rotation mode to fulfill time-lapse or automatic shooting.
7. GoPro Karma Grip
This is the official Gimbal introduced by the action camera company GoPro. Designed specifically for GoPro cameras, it offers great support and features. It has a small build, with a non- removable battery, which can last a maximum 3 hours. This gimbal is compatible with all gopro hero models except gopro hero 8.
It comes with a detachable grip, which makes it easy to use as a wearable steadycam tool. It also lets you offload videos without disconnecting the camera. One of the major setbacks is that when the GoPro camera is connected with this gimbal, the gimbal starts charging the camera by default, and there is no way to stop it.
So due to this, the battery of the Karma Grip runs out quickly. But this problem can be eliminated by using any external battery pack. Immediately on starting the gimbal, it goes into horizontal mode. It can also be controlled by voice.
- Capture amazingly smooth shake free video
- Compatible with GoPro body mounts
- Includes karma harness for Hero6 black/Hero5 black , Hero7 black
- Karma harness for Hero4 black and silver cameras sold separately
- Built in camera controls; recharge up to 70 percentage faster
8. Removu S1
The Removu S1 can be used as a handheld or a wearable gimbal. It comes with a detachable hand grip that can be remotely controlled from as far as 10 meters. It is also rainproof. It also displays the current stabilization mode and battery on its body and the remote. Its wireless remote controlling system makes it one if it’s kind amongst its counterparts.
The maximum range of this remote is 10 meters. One of the special features this gimbal has to offer is 2 OLED displays. The build quality is also something to look forward to in this gimbal. It is compatible with GoPro HERO 7, HERO 6, HERO 5 Black, HERO 5 Session, HERO Session, HERO4, HERO3+, and HERO3, but is best suited for Hero 5.
The battery life is quite disappointing as it gives you only 5 hours of usage. So you will need to carry an extra set of batteries, if you are thinking to shoot for long hours. It comes with 3 different shooting modes: Pan, follow and lock. The follow mode is quite slow, being one of the drawbacks of this gimbal. The design is splash-proof so remember not to submerge it in water.
- Compatibility. HERO7, HERO6, HERO5 Black, HERO5 Session, HERO Session. IMPORTANT NOTE!: HERO4, HERO3+, and HERO3 can be used in DRY operation using frame housing included. Rainproof operation for HERO4, 3+ and 3 requires Rainproof housing that is sold separately
- 3-Axis stabilizing gimbal, offering PAN, FOLLOW, LOCK modes. Manufactured with world class brush-less DC motors and rotary sensors, the S1 delivers extremely stable professional shots in any kind of activity
- Rainproof design. The motors and S1 body are specifically designed to be water resistant
- Handheld, Mountable, Wearable. REMOVU S1 is the world's first hand-held and mountable gimbal. The S1's handle can easily be detached from the S1 body, transforming the S1 into a mountable gimbal that can be attached on any GoPro compatible mounting system
- Wireless remote control. REMOVU S1 is equipped with a detachable wireless joystick remote control. Using 5-way jog key wireless remote, it can control the angle of camera and change the mode on the gimbal
9. Hohem iSteady Pro 2
This is a handheld gimbal boasting 12 hours of usage on a battery of 4000mAh. The battery is non removable. It is also waterproof. It is compatible with also GoPro HERO 7,6,5,4 and 3. It works flawlessly with the latest GoPro cameras. It is much lighter than other GoPro Gimbals as it is made of polymer composites.
There are 4 different shooting modes: pan follow, pan & tilt follow, all locked and all follow. One of the features to look out for in this gimbal is the time-lapse feature. But the best part about this is its cost; it comes at a very cheap price.
- 【Splash Proof And Beveled Angle Design】IPX4 water splash proof, resistant to water splashes from any direction, and 30°beveled angle design enables unobstructed shooting and framing. The pan motor is able to rotate a complete 360°to make incredible inception effect.
- 【Camera Charging】Hohem iSteady Pro 2 can run for 12 hours in a row. The 4000mAh built-in battery indicator tells you how much power is left. The stabilizer configured with Micro USB/Type C for action camera which also allows to supply power to other devices as a power bank.
- 【Trigger Button/Sport Mode, Quick Transition】Updated sports mode enables the motor to increase the power and react by the corresponding movement quickly, it's fast following speed allow to capture the best movement and creat transition effects without any post production.
- 【New APP Hohem Gimbal】With Hohem Gimbal App, you can make high quality videos with iSteady Pro 2. Functions like Remote Control, Switch Mode, Motion Time Lapse, Personal Specs. Setting, 6-side Calibration and Online Firmware Upgrade.
- 【Perfect Compatibility, 3 Years Warranty】iSteady Pro 2 works with DJI OSMO Action Camera, GoPro Hero 7 / 6 / 5 / 4 / 3, YI, SJCAM and other action cameras that have similar dimensions. Connect with us to enjoy 3 years warranty for free. IMPORTANT NOTES: DO NOT turn on the gimbal without a action camera mounted on.
10. ZHIYUN Crane M2
This is another 3 axis handheld gimbal with waterproof design. The battery life is around 7 hours. It is compatible with GoPro Hero 5/6/7 and other Mirrorless, smartphones and action cameras. Mounting a camera has never been easy as it is with this gimbal.
All thanks to its new quick-release system. Also you can mount various accessories using its two 1-4 threaded holes. It comes with a non-removable 1000mAh battery which runs up to 6 hours on a single charge. It features 3 standard shooting modes: pan, follow and tilt. Its vortex mode allows you to freely make a 360 degree barrel shot in all dimension. It can carry a camera weighing around 700 grams.
- 【All in One】 Get daily shooting occasions covered: using compact camera, light mirrorless camera, action camera, and your mobile phone.
- 【Compact Design】 Unique locking pin and latch design to prevent the axis from swinging. Retreat, lock up, drop it into your backpack and go. It’s that easy with Zhiyun Crane-M2.
- 【Creative Modes】 6 modes: Pan Following, Full Following, Locking, Full-Range POV, Vortex and GO. While the PF/F/L are basic options, POV/Vortex/GO provide you extended fun.
- 【Thoughtful Design】 With a memory lock on the scale, balancing position can be remembered. Once and forever, saving much trouble of readjustment every time.
- 【Smooth Zoom at Fingertips】 Push the slider on side of the handle, you can zoom in/out to capture smooth footage nearer and farther.
What to look for when buying a gimbal
Literally a gimbal is a device with a circular part that turns around a fixed central axis (= straight line) used for keeping a compass, gyroscope, chronometer, camera or other piece of equipment in position when it is inside a moving vehicle or object. It is also called gimbal ring
In a space craft, rocket engines are usually mounted on a pair of gimbals. You can also encounter a gimbal on a ship where they are used to keep compasses and other things level with the horizon in contrast to the pitch and roll of the vessel at sea.
Nowadays gimbals are more synonymous with photography and videography, especially while shooting motion. They are also called stabilizers. In fact, they are mechanical stabilizers, which use 3 axis of rotation to keep a camera stable.
It also uses algorithms and gyroscopes to detect the cameras unwanted and deliberate movements and then cancels the unwanted movement to make it stable. It is a mountable tool on which any recording device can be attached
Before gimbals were introduced as a stabilizing tool, different mechanical stabilizers like Steadicams were used. The introduction of the gimbal opened a door to new possibilities and functions.
Gimbals used in filming are usually of 3 types:
- 1 axis gimbal-
- 2 axis gimbal – it stabilizes on the pitch and roll axis
- 3 axis gimbal- this stabilizes yaw, pitch and roll axis.
You can use any gimbal you want according to its axis rotation. However, the most popular and efficient one is the 3 axis gimbal as it eliminates any unwanted movement when moving horizontally in the yaw axis. And it is also considered as the best gimbal offering new possibilities of shooting smooth and steady videos.
But it is not just the axis rotation that is important while buying a gimbal for your GoPro. Surely there are many more factors to consider before you finally step in the shop and grab your gear. But don’t worry it is not as hard as shooting a video.
If you are crystal clear about your requirements while shooting in terms of place, time, movement, control, efficiency etc, then there will be no hiccups in choosing the perfect gimbal for your GoPro. These are some of the features to look for before owning that gimbal.
Motorized gimbal vs Non-motorized gimbal
Non –motorized gimbal gives more control over the subtle movements of the camera than a motorized gimbal. The motorized gimbal falls back in terms of battery life and weight, hence being a crucial factor in deciding the best gimbal for you.
One handed vs. two-handed
Single-handed gimbals support small camera setups and are best suited for shooting in small and tight spaces While, two-handed are probably best for larger cinema camera setup with heavy accessories. It is also preferable for shooting longer duration videos as it provides more stability and control.
Look for a gimbal which is compatible with your GoPro model. Next you should look for the functions you need your gimbal to perform, according to your video requirements.
Although GoPro cameras come with an-inbuilt electronic image stabilization, a gimbal gives much more stabilization and control over the video. Wearable gimbals are best, because they don’t demand for much effort than its counterparts and also they do not require any learning curve.
Also remember that all GoPro cameras do not come with removable batteries. Only the Hero 7 model comes with removable batteries. All other models have non removable batteries. On the outside it may not seem as a problem, but while using a gimbal with the gopro this may put you quite in the hitch, especially when you are shooting long hour videos or forget to carry and extra battery pack.
However, there are some gimbals which will help you solve this problem as they come with a feature where you can charge your gorpro by connecting it to the gimbal.
Select a gimbal that can be easily carried without exerting much toll on your hands. It should also be portable enough to be carried around while moving between places. An ideal weight of a gimbal would be 500 gm. The weight is mainly difficult to handle during longer shoots. Also be aware of the Payload. Go for a gimbal which will be able to carry the weight of your camera and other accessories like lens, external mic etc.
Try to opt for a gimbal that automatically balances and adjusts the weight mounted on it so that the camera is able to shoot videos smoothly. Well, there are not many gimbals that offer this feature. GoPro Karma Grip is one of the gimbals to offer this feature. If the camera remains unbalanced the gimbal’s battery drains quickly and it might cause damage to the gimbals motors.
A gimbal with a minimum battery life of 5-6 hours is a nice choice. Also it is best to look for removable batteries over non-removable batteries. And if you are opting for a removable battery operated gimbal, then always keep spare batteries with you in case of any emergencies. It is also advisable to carry a power bank as most of the gimbals have the feature of charging the gopro cameras when connected to it, resulting in quick draining of the battery.
Regardless of where you are shooting, considering a splash-proof or waterproof design is always better. But remember, not to be carried away by that design as they are not totally waterproof. It can only endure a measured amount of water and splashes. But it is believed to increase the overall life expectancy of the gimbal.
Now this feature solely depends on your shooting habits and requirement. If your video requires you to just use a handheld gimbal than it’s not a big problems as almost all the gimbals are handheld. But if you need to shoot the video by mounting the gimbal on something than try to look for a gimbal which offers both handheld and mounting options.
Look for an easy to use gimbal, where you do not face any difficulties in mounting or detaching your camera. It is said that, 2-3 minutes are enough to assemble the gimbal and start using it. Obviously it may take more time than that when using it for the first time, but eventually you should be able to get your gimbal ready for use in the mentioned timed. A gimbal giving you that ease is worth your money.
If you are looking for a wearable gimbal, then don’t forget to look for one supporting wireless connectivity through WI-FI and Bluetooth. This feature allows you to control the gimbal through your mobile by connecting it to your gimbal, and capture amazing time-lapse videos and photos. It is also useful in getting real time information of the gimbal such as battery level, current shooting mode etc.
The usual notion is that if it’s expensive it must be the best. Well that is true in one way as the expensive things often offer good quality and many features unlike their less expensive counterparts. Well buying a gimbal solely because of its price would not be the best practice.
It depends on your specific requirements, as there are good performing gimbals available across different price ranges. But that does not mean there are no bad gimbals. There are some gimbals on the lower price range, which lacks that technical support and longevity as the other gimbals.
So, you won’t need much pondering in this area if you have done your homework with the utmost care and finalized a gimbal according to your specific needs.
Ultimately you should choose a gimbal fit for your gopro, which is a high class action camera with great durability and performance. A gimbal which is able to keep up with your gopro as it shoots its videos is the perfect match.