GoPros and action cameras are really awesome ways to capture videos from really unique angles and perspectives. Chances are, you’re looking for a good GoPro for your kids, but you may not wish to spend so much on a camera that may not last quite that long!
After all, we’ve all forgotten something important somewhere when we were kids!
Still, a proper GoPro may be an option in some cases, which we’ll talk about in due time.
In this post, we’ll check out what we feel is the best GoPro for kids, plus alternative action cameras that you can pick up to encourage your children to get into photography and videography without breaking the bank.
What is the best GoPro Camera For Kids?
The absolute best GoPro is the GoPro Hero 9 Black, which is the top of the line. Perhaps it’s better to label this one as a good GoPro for teenagers rather than small children!
The Hero 9 Black is quite expensive, but the footage it captures is absolutely breathtaking.
It’s also a good choice for filming really young kids. Attaching a GoPro to a walker or high chair can get you some really unique footage that will be fond memories for the future!
If you’re confident that your kid is not going to lose the GoPro, the Hero 9 Black is incredibly rugged and very hard to break.
You can reliably toss it around and give it a few knocks before it sustains some serious damage. It’s also waterproof, so if your kid mistakenly forgets it in their pocket before going for a swim, it won’t get damaged.
You can shoot 5K video, take 20MP photos, as well as timelapses and HyperSmooth videos that help eliminate shakes and bumps from your footage.
Some more interesting ways you can use the GoPro Hero 9 Black:
- Attached to the torso to get some unique footage when swimming
- Attached to a helmet for skateboarding/skating/skiing
- Attached to your dashboard to get footage of the kids during a long road trip
The possibilities are really endless.
There’s a front display you can use to frame your shots, as well as a touch-screen rear display from where you can access the menu and change any settings.
You can control it from the screen or by using voice commands. The one gripe we have with GoPros in general is that they have mediocre battery life, so it’s always better to carry extra batteries for extended use.
If you’re balking at the price tag, you can pick up older models, too. Some are also available refurbished for an even steeper discount.
- GoPro Hero 8 Black | Current Price: $299.00
- GoPro Hero 8 Black(Refurbished) | Current Price: $259.99
Cheaper Alternative Action Cameras To The GoPro
You do not have to spend over three hundred dollars on the best GoPro for kids!
If you’re on a tight budget, it may be difficult to justify dropping so much cash on all those features for a child who’s not that familiar with photography and video recording yet. If you are comfortable stepping away from the GoPro brand and wouldn’t mind some more affordable alternative action cameras, here are some of our personal favorites.
1. Dragon Touch Kidicam 2.0
Were you considering the kids GoPro for a younger child, but don’t want to spend that much on a camera that will probably get destroyed? If that’s the case, you could consider a more affordable option in the form of the Dragon Touch Kidicam 2.0.
While the camera may look like a kids’ toy, don’t be fooled by its childlike appearance. The Dragon Touch Kidicam is able to capture 1080P/30 fps videos and 12M photographs. It also has six colour video modes, allowing for more creativity for video recordings.
The Dragon Touch Kidicam also has an impressive battery life. It allows for a whopping 150 minutes of continuous recording time. The action camera is only made with safe materials too, so you will not find any toxic materials in this camera.
Finally, the Dragon Touch Kidicam 2.0 is waterproof as well. In fact, the camera is waterproof up to a depth of 100 feet, which is certainly impressive for a kids action camera that costs so little.
The Dragon Touch Kidicam 2.0 is available in different colours. At the time of this article, the manufacturer provides this kids action camera in blue and yellow. Also, these kids action cameras are suitable for children aged 4 and up.
- 【KIDS ACTION CAMERA】Dragon Touch Kidicam have a sturdy design for kids. The durable action cam come with FOUR Mounts enabling filming while biking or skateboarding and more, A Lanyard for attaching the camera and Bandages to keep the camera attached to your helmet or arm while playing and exploring. All these for safe use and full protection.
- 【LITTLE PHOTOGRAPHER】This kids camera featuring professional HD 1080P/30fps videos and 12M photos, built-in 25 photo frames, 8 photo effects, 6 color video modes. Free 16GB memory card, supports photography and video with the ability to replay and delete both. Take photos and record videos on the go! Perfect mini video camera for your little photographer.
- 【READY FOR ADVENTURE】With the durable waterproof case, waterproof video camera can be used underwater 30m (100ft) to capture the amazing footage, best for beach, diving, swimming, drifting, snorkeling, surfing and more.
- 【LONG LASTING BATTERY】Build-in 3.7V rechargeable lithium battery features 150 minutes continuous recording time. Its all fun and games until you`re back at you`re accommodation and ALL OF YOU want to charge your devices at once.
- 【WONDERFUL GIFT FOR KID】Kidicam digital camera is a great action camera as a Christmas/ birthday/ holiday gift for children. Environment-friendly, non-toxic material product to protect kids' health. Smart little device to capture the most memorable moments. 2" colour screen, 2 funny kids games, perfect mini video camera for kids. Best for ages of 4+ years old.
2. Akamate Action Camera
When you want a versatile action camera for the kids, which provides something the GoPro does not, then you could consider the Akamate Action Camera. What does the Akamate Action Camera for kids provide that the GoPro does not? Three built-in games!
The Akamate Action Camera is built as a toy for kids, but that does not mean it lacks any video or photography features. The action camera comes with a 32GB Micro SD card, so you do not have to purchase an additional memory card, your child can start playing with it as soon as it arrives.
With the accompanying Micro SD card, it is possible to take many videos, as this card allows 300 minutes of video footages and up to 20,000 5M photographs. That’s pretty good!
Much like other action cameras today, the Akamate Action Camera is waterproof up to a depth of 100 feet. And, as mentioned in the introduction, it has three games built into the camera. Not many action cameras provide games, so that is what makes this camera stand out more than some of the other affordable options on the market today.
- 👧【Best Gift for Kids】: AKAMATE kids camera is the best action camera as a Christmas/ birthday/ holiday gift for children 4-12 years. Features HD 1080p@/30fps videos and 5MP bright photos, shooting the most memorable moments with sound. 2" color screen, built-in 5 different frame photo effects, 3 funny kids games, great gift for exploring children's creativity.
- 👧【Enjoy Arrive & Play 】: AKAMATE waterproof toy comes with a bonus 32GB Micro SD card, your child can play the camera immediately when it arrived. Max Class 10 Micro SD 32GB Card allows the camera record 300 minutes of 1920x1080@30fps video or 20,000 photos of 5M.
- 👧【Ready for Adventure】: With the durable waterproof case, AKAMATE waterproof video camera can be used underwater 30m (100ft) to capture the amazing footage, best for beach, diving, swimming, drifting, snorkeling, surfing and more. Versatile mounting kits allows the kids sports camera to be attached to skateboards, bike or helmets. Durable neck strap and a zipper carry bag for safe using and full-protection.
- 👧【Long Lasting Battery】: Built-in 1000mAh rechargeable battery, the digital camera support video record up to 150 minutes of 1080P@30fps, no worry about running out of power when shooting stunning moment. Tips: Please make sure the battery power switch is "ON" before you turn on the camera.It's recommended to charge the battery when powered off.
- 👧【Customer Service】: If you have any suggestions or problems about our product, please contact us in advance, we offer 24Hr online support.
3. Dragon Touch 4K
We already mentioned the Dragon Touch 2.0, but you could get a step up from that with the Dragon Touch 4K. As the name already suggests, the Dragon Touch 4K enables 4K video at 30 fps, 2.7K at 30 fps, and 1080P at 60 fps. It is also accompanied by 16 MP photo resolution, which is very decent for this easy to use camera for kids.
One of the more interesting features with the Dragon Touch 4K camera is the presence of a remote control that can go around the wrist. This particular feature is often found with some of the best action cameras for adults, as it allows for more convenient capturing of photos and videos.
The Dragon Touch 4K also has a wireless feature; this means kids can easily share their photos and videos on their social media accounts through the app. Of course, not all parents want their kids to have that kind of connectivity online, so it must be something to consider if you obtain this easy to use camera.
Finally, the Dragon Touch 4K comes in a waterproof case. By securing the camera in the waterproof case, the camera becomes waterproof up to a depth of 100 feet. Add to that two rechargeable batteries of 1050 mAh, and you have an amazing camera for kids with a waterproof case that will keep it safe at all times.
- 4K Action Camera with 4X Zoom: Professional 4K/30FPS, 2.7K/30fps, 1080P/60FPS video and 16MP photo resolution enables you to capture exciting moment for you. This action camera also features zoom range from 1.0X to 4.0X.
- Wireless Wrist Remote Control: Put the remote control on your wrist while installing the sports camera on your helmet, convenient to record moments in places you can't reach. Wireless range up to 10m(33ft), the remote is not waterproof.
- Wifi Action Camera with 2” Screen: Save and share your sports action camera moments on the phone/tablet with App XDV, WiFi signal ranges up to 33 feet. 2'' screen allows you to preview the video in action camera.
- 100FT Waterproof Camera with Free Accessories: Place your camera into the waterproof case and securely fasten it, you can dive below 30 meters. This underwater camera is ideal for water sports such as swimming, surfing, diving, etc. This underwater camera also comes with 2 rechargeable 1050mAh batteries, charger and accessories which available for most action camera even Gopro.
- Versatile but Compact: This action camera features multiple functions including driving mode, image rotation, time-lapse, loop recording, slow motion, dramashot, exposure and white balance. Bringing this sports camera to more applicable conditions beyond your expectation. This action camera is not Mac compatible.
4. Crosstour Action Camera
The Crosstour is a popular action camera for adults, and often an alternative for some of the best GoPro cameras out there. However, this particular option could be suitable for kids too. So, if you are looking for a more advanced GoPro alternative that your kids can use, the Crosstour Action Camera should be on your shortlist.
Since the Crosstour is a little more advanced than some of the basic easy to use kids cameras, we recommend this particular option for older children and teens. Either way, let’s have a thorough look at the features and why this may be the best GoPro alternative.
With the Crosstour, your kids will have access to full HD video and photo resolution, much like you would get with a GoPro Hero or Fusion. It also has the much-desired waterproof feature, although this one only goes down to 98 feet. Nevertheless, that’s not much difference with the other GoPro and lesser known action camera options for kids mentioned here today.
The Crosstour camera also provides two rechargeable batteries with large capacity, which even trumps that of the average GoPro. Battery life is important, even for a camera that will be used by your kids. Fortunately, you don’t have to worry about that with the Crosstour.
We also need to mention that the Crosstour camera for kids comes with a bunch of useful accessories. Since this camera is designed for adults as well, you can find more advanced accessories with this particular camera. So, be sure to select the ones that are most useful for kids if you want to make the easy to use Crosstour even easier for your kids.
- Full HD Video And Photo Resolution - 14MP 1080P ensures you capture high quality pictures and videos every time. The 170° wide-angle lens allows you to capture more of your surroundings.
- Support PC Webcam Camera Function - With the function of webcam, it enables you to enjoy online meeting, chatting or other online activities. And the 170°wide-angle lens of the camera will gives you a wider field of vision.
- 30 Meters Waterproof Performance - With the solid and durable waterproof case, you can take the underwater camera dive into water up to 98 feet / 30 meters. Perfect for water sports, such as swimming, diving, surfing and so on. You can explore the unknown underwater world heartily.
- Wireless Remote Control Connection - With Wi-Fi, you can directly control the action camera and video options on the "BH10 DV" APP. Besides, you can download, delete and view files, which makes it easier for you to share your excitement on social platforms.
- 2” LCD And Mounting Accessory Kits - A 2” LCD screen allows you to view videos or pictures more clearly. 12 multifunctional accessories enable you to mount your sports camera to helmet, bicycles, wrist, etc. Great companion to shoot the exciting moment.
5. Campark ACT74
Another great waterproof camera for kids is the Campark ACT74. Again, this is a waterproof action camera that is often used by adults, but it can be one of the best action cameras for kids too.
The Campark ACT74 allows videos at 4K/30 fps and photos can be taken at 16M. There is also a great wide angle lens feature, which provides an optional 170 degrees for videos and photos with a wider view.
Like most options in this overview, the Campark ACT74 sports a waterproof property, ensuring this camera for kids remains safe up to a depth of 100 feet. So, if your kids are into water sports, this camera is a brilliant option.
With the Campark ACT74, your kids also get access to one of the best features an action camera can provide these days, the remote control. With the remote control feature, you don’t have to fumble around to take videos and photographs at a moment’s notice.
Most retailers do not provide this camera with an memory card, but it is quite compatible with most options out there. The manufacturer recommends a 32GB class 10 memory card, which should be formatted before it is used in this waterproof camera.
Now, one of the features we love the most about this action video camera is its short charging time. Upon testing, this waterproof camera gets a full battery charge in as little as two hours. Since the standard option comes with two batteries already, it is unlikely your kids will miss out on any fun video recordings.
- Upgrade Series of Campark ACT74: This ACT74-Upgrade action camera records video in 4K/30fps and takes photo at 20MP, capture and share your world in a fantastic resolution.
- EIS Anti-shaking Function: Equipped with built-in Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) , this sports camera delivers stable and clear video even in fast speed movements.
- Remote Control and WIFI: This action cam comes with a wireless 2.4G remote, making it easy to start/stop recording while doing sports. The Wifi and APP connection help download and share your videos or photos on social media instantly.
- External Microphone: This upgrade helmet camera supports external microphone (included), which can capture sound from all directions, giving you excellent sound experience. (The external mic and waterproof case can't be used together, because the case is totally sealed.)
- Waterproof Camera with Accessories Kits: With the improved waterproof case, this underwater camera can dive below 40 meters (131ft). It also comes with 2 batteries, remote control, external microphone and other multifunctional accessories (most are compatible with gopro cameras).
6. Akaso EK7000
One of the preferred video camera alternatives to the GoPro for adults is the Akaso EK7000. It is not difficult to figure out why though, especially when you view the amazing videos this affordable device can deliver.
There are many great features associated with the Akaso EK7000, but the first one to mention is that it provides four times the resolution compared to traditional HD cameras, and that only for a fraction of the price. It also comes with great batteries, as the Akaso EK7000 comes with two rechargeable batteries that can handle 90 minutes of video.
Each Akaso EK7000 also comes with a wristband remote control, so you can take videos easily while controlling the camera at a distance. Since the wristband is easy to operate for videos, you will find that most kids can work with this remote control too.
The Akaso EK7000 has great connectivity too. The device has a built-in HDMI and Wi-Fi, which means videos can easily be shared online in a matter of minutes. It also allows you to easily transfer videos to a computer or a smartphone, keeping the storage on the camera optimal.
Since the Akaso EK7000 is also waterproof, this action camera is a great option for indoors as well as outdoors. And, with a great waterproof resistance up to 100 feet, this video camera is also a great option for all kinds of water sports.
Finally, parents will find that this video camera comes in a range of great colours, enabling some personalisation where design is concerned. At the time of this article, the video camera is available in black, blue, white and yellow.
- 4K Ultra HD action camera. Professional 4K 25Fps & 2.7K 30Fps video with 12MP photos at up to 30 frames per second for incredible photos, which is 4 times the resolution of traditional HD cameras.
- Wireless wrist remote control sports camera. With a wrist 2.4G remote, you can capture the world in an all-new way. Controlling the camera, framing shots or recording video is convenient.
- Longer battery life. AKASO EK7000 action camera comes with 2 rechargeable 1050mAh batteries. Each battery can record up to 90 minutes. No more worry about the recording time for this Action camera.
- Built-in Wi-Fi & HDMI, edit & share YOUR action in minutes. Just download App(AKASO GO) on your phone or tablet and connect with this action camera. Wi-Fi signal ranges up to 10 meters.
- 100 Feet waterproof camera. AKASO EK7000 is designed to withstand extreme environments, together with durable waterproof case. With the accessories, transform it for indoor and outdoor activities.
7. Vtech Kidizoom Action Cam
There are some strong favorites in this overview of popular action video cameras, and the Vtech Kidizoom is among the most popular. When you take a quick look at the Vtech Kidizoom, you’ll immediately find out why this is such a great option for kids.
The Vtech Kidizoom sports quite the kid-friendly look. It has a cheerful yellow design and attractive shapes, which make it look more like a toy than a powerful video camera. Still, don’t be fooled by the rather youthful look of this option.
With the Vtech, you have one of the most versatile action cameras for children. It has been deemed suitable for children between 2 and 12, and delivers some special effects such as stop motion, slow motion, burst mode, time lapse, frames, and more.
Despite its youthful appearance, you can find all the features you would find with the other cameras we’ve mentioned today. It includes a special slot for a micro SD card, so your child can film to his heart’s content. With a 32GB MicroSD card, it translates to 98,800 photographs at 1.0 MP and 64 minutes of 720p video. While this may be a little less than some of the other cameras, the Kidizoom is a lot cheaper than some of the other cameras we have mentioned in this overview.
We must mention that the Kidizoom is available in various designs, which have been updated over time due to the popularity of this device. The standard design is yellow, but you can also get camouflage options and other cool designs online.
- This HD action video and still camera is ready for every adventure, on land or in water, with a wide-angle lens, waterproof case and floating handle
- A bike mount and adhesive flat mount make this video camera ideal for mounting on a bicycle, helmet or skateboard
- Use special effects like time lapse, stop motion, burst mode, fast- and slow-motion and frames
- Rechargeable battery lasts 2.5 hours. With 32GB microSD card (not included), store up to 98,800 pictures at 1.0 MP and 64 minutes of 720p video
- Intended for ages 4-12 years. Includes internal, rechargeable battery and microSD card slot for expandable memory. Battery is not replaceable
Is The GoPro A Good Family Camera?
Normally, we wouldn’t say the GoPro is a good family camera. However, it does depend on the activities your family engages in. If you are looking for the best GoPro for kids, it is possible that your family leads quite the active lifestyle with many action-packed sports.
If that is the case, a GoPro could certainly help to capture those moments. However, if your entire family is not active, and you are searching for the best GoPro for kids to surprise a more active child, there are other cameras out there that would be more suitable for your family.
Which Camera Could I Get For A Three-Year Old?
Most action cameras are designed for children aged 4 and over. However, this does not mean there is not a suitable camera available for three-year-olds! Since you would need something a little sturdier, we recommend the Feeyea Kids Camera.
The Feeyea Kids Camera has a built-in rechargeable battery and comes with a few simple buttons that are easier to operate for small fingers. They are also easier for children whose fine motor skills are not that developed yet.
Despite its rather simple design and functionality, there are some hidden features you would not immediately expect. It provides 8 scene selections, flash light and some accompanying cartoon stickers that can be used to customise the exterior of the camera.
It is also important to note that the software that is installed on this camera is updated on a regular basis. You can connect this camera to a computer or a smartphone and update the software when it is needed. We do recommend updating the software when a new update becomes available, as the new software could considerably improve the image quality.
While the camera is completely safe for young children, charging should only be done by adults or under the supervision of adults. The camera should also be charged fully before it is used for the first time.
Please note that this camera is made with non-toxic materials and that it has a shockproof property. In other words, this camera can be dropped or hit, and it will remain intact. Since younger children are more prone to dropping objects, this feature is an absolute must-have that makes this a strong contender!
- ★【8 Mega pixel Camera,1080P HD VIDEO】The digital camera for kids has 8 megapixels dual cameras,Convenient self-timer.The Kids Camera for boys can take up to 1920x1080P Video, equipped with 4x digital zoom and 2.0 in HD screen-WYSIWYG, while retaining clear beautiful moments for boys or girls.🌷TIPS:With software upgrades, the highest pixel size of photos is even higher than 8 million.Greatly improved the photos definition compared with other kids camera
- ★【More Features,More Fun for Kids】The Upgrade kids camcorder will attract children to use and bring more fun to the children.This Digital Toy Camera based on the original photo capture increase video recording, self-timer,date selection,4 camera mode selections, 8 scene selections,and flash light. In addition, this Digital Toy Camera can choose pixels to take photos of different pixels,with Funny Photo Frame to take vivid photos.With cartoon stickers, kids can use it to decorate creative style k
- ★【Easy Operation,Built-in Rechargeable batter】 This Digital Toy Camera is specially designed for children:Simple button design, Children can enjoy shooting just by pressing the switch button. The kids camera has 610 mAh built-in rechargeable battery.🌷TIPS: Charging must be used by adults or under the monitor of adults.🌷Warm reminder: Please fully charge before using the camera for the first time
- ★【Safe and durable, Shockproof】The Digital Toy Camera uses an eco-friendly, non-toxic silicone material, durable and safe ,which assure the digital camera for kids survives from any accidental slips and falls.🌷Love reminder: 32GB MicoSD card has been loaded into the Digital Toy Camera, so your kids can enjoy shooting as soon as opening the box
- ★【Best Gift for Kids,Compact Size】The mini Kids Camera for boys looks very cute is fantastic holiday gift for kids aged 3-9.Only Weight 0.2 Pounds, and compact small size 3.66*1.65*2.40 inch,makes the Kids Camera great for little hands.Packing included lanyard for makes the Digital Toy Camera is convenient to carry everywhere, simply capture scene or animals on nature , experience the fun from nature
Conclusion: Which Action Camera Is Right For My Kids?
It all comes down to budget and requirements. Older children will want more features, so choosing options such as the Campark of the Crosstour can be better for them.
For younger children, specs are less important, especially if your kids are only 4 years old. When your kids are 4 or 5 years old, you do not have to invest in an action camera with the best video resolution or high-tech features. That being said, even some of the most affordable video camera options in our overview sport some amazing video resolution already!
At the end of the day, always consider your budget and the overall knowledge level of your kids. Even the most affordable cameras have waterproof features and take great video these days, so you do not have to spend hundreds on the latest and best GoPro for your kids.