Since makeup can involve a lot of detail, it can be difficult to determine the best camera for makeup artists. From taking photographs to videos that will be uploaded on YouTube, there are many reasons why makeup artists could be looking for an appropriate camera.
Today, we take a closer look at the cameras that can be used by makeup artists. Of course, all these cameras have their benefits for specific types of makeup artists, so be sure to read through our entire guide to find the best option.
Best Cameras For Makeup Tutorials (Youtube As Well As Instagram Photography)
You can find an endless amount of beauty videos and makeup tutorials on Youtube. Since there are great quality videos out there, your beauty videos or makeup tutorials must match where quality is concerned. Fortunately, there are plenty of cameras that will enable you to film with exceptional video quality.
1. Canon 70D
The Canon 70D provides the best price-quality ratio around. In fact, professional vlogger Zoella is known to use this camera for her Youtube videos.
As you may have guessed, the Canon 70D comes with a bunch of features that ensure video quality for makeup artists. The first feature is the 20MP sensor, which contributes to the overall quality you are getting to a whole new level.
Aside from outstanding videos for Youtube, the Canon 70D provides makeup artists with lots of convenience too. This camera has a flip screen, which makes it easier to check your videos on the go before uploading them to Youtube.
- 20.2 MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 5+
- 19 point cross-type AF System
- Up to 7 fps shooting
- ISO 100-12800, expandable to 25600
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF for fast focus in live view and video
2. Canon Rebel T6i
This camera is one of the best cameras for makeup artists, so if you want the best money can buy at the moment, the Canon Rebel T6i is the best camera on our list and a definite recommendation for even the most advanced makeup artist.
The Canon Rebel T6i comes with a 24.2 MP APS-C CMOS sensor and a DIGIC 6 image processor. The combination of these two components makes this the best camera for makeup artists who need to take video on a regular basis. The processor and sensor enable you to shoot in low light, but also a variety of other conditions. To complement the sensor and the image processor, Canon also include a whopping 19 cross-type autofocus points. It doesn’t get much better to make your Youtube makeup artist videos.
We do need to mention that this camera does not come with a body stabilization feature. Even though we would usually recommend this for quality videos, this problem is easily remedied by using a good tripod.
So, why do we recommend the Canon Rebel T6i when it does not come with its own body stabilization feature? Well, this makeup artist camera has a video snapshots mode, enabling you to make Youtube videos quicker and easier than ever.
- 242 Megapixel CMOS (APS C) sensor
- Built in Wi Fi, NFC and Bluetooth Lens used: EF S 18 55 millimeter f/4 56 IS STM (at focal length of 55 millimeter)
- High Speed continuous shooting at up to 60 fps Weight Approx 1877 ounce / 532 grams (including battery pack and SD memory card) Approx 1711 ounce / 485 gram (body only)
- Metering Range: EV 1 20 (room temperature, evaluative metering)
- Use the EOS Utility Webcam Beta Software (Mac and Windows) to turn your compatible Canon Camera into a high-quality webcam
3. Canon Powershot G7X Mark II
When you are a makeup artist that travels frequently, you may want to invest in a camera that is travel friendly. There are plenty of options out there when it comes to portability, but one of the best is none other than the Canon Powershot G7X Mark II.
As we mentioned already, the Canon Powershot G7X Mark II is relatively lightweight and compact; this makes it easier to get shoot yoru Youtube makeup videos and photographs on the go.
Despite its portability, do not be fooled when it comes down the functionality of this handy little camera. The Canon Powershot G7X Mark II comes with a 20.1MP 1″ CMOS sensor as well as a DIGIC 7 image processor. It also records your video in 1080p at 60fps which is more than decent for a portable video camera such as this one.
In addition to providing superior quality for your video through a good sensor and image processor, the Canon Powershot also comes with an intelligent image stabilization. Thanks to this feature, you are able to shoot quality video that is much sharper and clearer while holding your camera.
While the Canon Powershot G7X Mark II has countless features that will benefit the quality of your video and photographs, it lacks in one particular department. In fact, the battery life of this camera is not the best. However, you can replace the battery, so simply charge an additional one if you worry about running out.
- The advanced video capabilities of the Power Shot G7 X Mark II camera can capture moments in the quality they deserve
- Features a large 1.0 inch, 20.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor that helps capture high quality images and videos with a wide dynamic range. Autofocus system features ttl autofocus and manual focus. Operating temperature is 0 to 40 degree celsius. Note charging time varies considerably depending on the remaining battery power
- An aperture value of f/1.8 at the wide angle and f/2.8 when fully zoomed to a factor of 4.2x (24 100 millimeter), this lens equipped to capture a variety of situations with precision
- High resolution, 3.0 inches LCD monitor that tilts up 180 degrees and down 45 degrees is ideal for self portraits and capturing pictures at high and low angles with ease
- Built in Wi Fi for on the go convenience and the ability to easily post your images to select social networking and media sites
4. Canon 80D
We already mentioned the Canon 70D, which is one of the best makeup camera options out there. Of course, the 80D is considered the upgraded version of the 70D, so it does not have some of the negative features the 70D has. Of course, that upgrade does come with a higher price tag.
One of the known issues of the Canon 70D is that it can overheat a little once it has been used for a longer period of time. Fortunately, you do not have to worry about overheating when taping your makeup video with the Canon 80D, as it does not have the overheating problem the Canon 70D sometimes encounters.
With the Canon 80D also comes an upgraded sensor in the form of the 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor combined with the DIGIC 6 image processor. There is also an upgrade in autofocus points, going to a total of 45 points now.
On the flipside, an upgrade for the Canon camera also comes with an increased price tag. However, the increased price tag does give you better video and picture quality, even in low light. In other words, the Canon 80D has become a bit of a standard among makeup artists.
- 45-point all cross-type AF system* allows for superb autofocus when shooting with the optical viewfinder and focusing area selection modes.
- Intelligent Viewfinder with approximately 100% viewfinder coverage. Approx. 730g / 25.75oz. (Based on CIPA Guidelines),Approx. 650g / 22.93oz. (Body only)
- 24.2 Megapixel (APS-C) CMOS sensor helps provide impressive, high-resolution results. Shooting speed of up to 7.0fps makes it an excellent choice for capturing moving subjects
- Improved Dual Pixel CMOS AF helps you shoot video with smooth, fast and accurate autofocus, and stills with instant and precise autofocus.
5. Sony Alpha a5100
Searching for something a little more affordable? If so, consider taking photos and video with the Sony Alpha a5100. While considerably cheaper than more advanced makeup camera options, there is still much to like when it comes to video and picture capabilities.
The Sony Alpha a5100 is designed with a 24.3MP APS-C Exmor HD CMOS Sensor. It also has a BIONZ X Image Processor, which you might not be familiar with so let’s elaborate on it.
A camera with a BIONZ X Image Processor has loads to offer. It delivers some outstanding textures and depth, but it coincides with a so-called Exmor CMOS sensor. The latter actually reduces noise that can be created during data conversion and image processing. In other words, this is a solid camera to take some amazing pictures.
One of the few downsides to the Sony Alpha a5100 is a lack of an external microphone output. So, getting compatible additional audio equipment for the Sony Alpha a5100 is a little trickier.
- Ultra-fast auto focus with 179 AF points and 6Fps
- Capture life in high resolution with 24MP APS-C sensor.Lens compatibility Sony E-mount lenses
- Instant sharing via smartphone with Wi-Fi and NFC1
- Record Full HD 1080/24/60P video3 up to 50MB/s. Compatible OS - Windows Vista SP2-6, Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Mac OS X (v10.7-v10.9)
- Contains- Rechargeable Battery (NP-FW50) AC Charger (AC-UB10) Lens cap Shoulder strap Micro USB cable. BIONZ X engine for superb detail and noise reduction
6. Panasonic HC-V180K
Not all makeup artists have a huge amount of budget to purchase the best camera for their video uploads, especially those that are just getting started in the world of vlogging. For those makeup artists, we recommend a camera like the Panasonic HC-V180K.
The Panasonic HC-V180K is considerably more affordable compared to some of the other options mentioned today. Of course, as we have proven time and time again, affordability does not mean a lack of features. It is actually quite the opposite for the Panasonic HC-V180K.
This nifty video camera is an outstanding choice for new vloggers, as it is one of the most affordable options out there. It comes with a backside illuminated sensor, which enables you to shoot better video in low light conditions. So, getting great quality 1080p video at 60 fps is a real doddle with this option.
Another brilliant feature of the Panasonic HC-V180K is the inbuilt wifi. If you like to upload on the go, then look no further than this camera. Simply use the inbuilt wifi to upload your makeup files directly to YouTube or your preferred social media platform.
Like some other more affordable models, the Panasonic HC-V180K is unfortunately missing an external microphone jack. While this is not a true hindrance for the starting vlogger, it might be a hindrance for anyone who already uses specific audio equipment for their video.
Finally, we must mention that the Panasonic HC-V180K does not deal with low light conditions as well as some of the other makeup camera options we mentioned here today. As a result, you may need some additional camera lighting to ensure the right balance during recordings or image capturing.
- 50X and 90X Optical Zoom: Long 50X zoom and 90X intelligent zoom draws in the scene from far away. The focal length is 2.06 - 103 millimeter
- Wide-angle Lens: A 28mm wide-angle lens is convenient for capturing group images in small spaces, such as weddings, reunions and vacations
- 1/5.8-Inch BSI Sensor: The Back Side Illumination Sensor has a large effective area with 2.20M effective pixels, suppressing noise even when shooting in dimly lit conditions
- Creative Controls: Creative filter effects like 8mm Movie, Silent Movie, Miniature Effect and Time Lapse Recording add more personality to your high-definition recordings
- Crisp, Clear Audio: A two-channel zoom microphone automatically adjusts recording volume higher or lower synced to the camcorder's active zooming capability for crisp, clear audio
7. Canon 5D Mark IV
Once you have quite the following on your makeup vlog, it may be time for a bit of an upgrade. You can find that upgrade in the form of the Canon 5D Mark IV. Be warned though, this camera will be a serious investment.
The Canon 5D Mark IV is packed with premium features, which is definitely needed for the price of this makeup camera. Still, the premium features you do get with this makeup camera definitely do not disappoint.
Firstly, you will get a whopping 30.4 MP full-frame CMOS Sensor and a DIGIC 6+ image processor. The result of this upgraded combination of image processor and sensor gives you the ability to process images faster than ever before. The sensor also makes sure that the results you obtain are always great, even in low light conditions.
In addition to a great sensor and an image processor, the Canon 5D Mark IV is also quite durable. The camera has a strong magnesium alloy housing, which is also completely weatherproof. Another feature that could be worth the money for some makeup vloggers.
With the Canon 5D Mark IV, you also get a 61-point high-density reticular AF system. The system basically ensures the camera can focus really quickly and produce even better images. In other words, the Canon 5D Mark IV is a great choice for both image and video capturing.
Of course, the one big downside to this makeup camera is the overall price tag. Compared to most options in this overview, the Canon 5D Mark IV is a lot more expensive. Still, if you are a successful makeup vlogger, it may be worth the investment.
- New 30.4 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor for versatile shooting in nearly any light, with ISO range 100-32000; expandable up to 50-102400 (equivalent ISO).
- 4K Motion JPEG video (DCI cinema-type 4096 x 2160) at 30p or 24p; in- camera still frame grab of 4K 8.8-Megapixel images; multiple video options include Full HD up to 60p, and HD up to 120p.
- Superb Dual Pixel CMOS AF for responsive and smooth AF during video or live view shooting; LCD monitor has full touch-screen interface, including selection of AF area.
- Excellent performance - up to 7.0 fps continuous shooting speed with high-performance DIGIC 6+ Image Processor for improved speed and excellent image quality.
- Use the EOS Utility Webcam Beta Software (Mac and Windows) to turn your Canon camera into a high-quality webcam, or do the same using a clean HDMI output.
8. Nikon COOLPIX S6900
If your makeup pictures consist of many selfies, you could consider adding the Nikon COOLPIX S6900 to your collection. While it is a model that is a little more difficult to get a hold of these days, it is still worth searching for.
While the Nikon COOLPIX S6900 may look like a basic point and shoot camera, it is so much more than that. As you may expect already, the Nikon COOLPIX S6900 is easy to use, even for those who have little experience with taking makeup photographs.
In addition to its user friendliness, the Nikon camera also comes with inbuilt wifi. It also comes with tons of selfie features, ensuring you can upload great photos with a minimum amount of file transfers.
If we would have to choose a downside to the Nikon COOLPIX, it would have to be its limited battery life. Of course, there are worse negative points when it comes to cameras and we think the benefits far outweigh the negatives.
- 12x optical zoom; 24x dynamic fine zoom, an enhanced zoom function that effectively doubles your reach
- Vari-angle display and built-in kickstand
- Target Finding AF for accurate, intelligent autofocus
- 19 Scene Modes plus full HD 1080p videos with stereo sound
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Near Field Communication technology allow you to wirelessly share photos to a compatible smartphone.Please refer user manual attached below for instructions and troubleshooting steps.
9. Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera
If you want top of the line and don’t mind investing a great deal of cash to get the best money can buy, then you absolutely need the Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera as a makeup vlogger.
When you speak to camera aficionados, you will find it difficult to hear them say anything bad about this particular options. As you may expect because of its accompanying price, the Blackmagic camera can record 4K video. It also comes with various recording options, including Blackmagic RAW, Cfast 2.0, external media and ProRes to SD. There are few cameras that provide you with that many recording options.
Aside from a great number of features, the Blackmagic can be combined with lenses from other brands. If you have invested in some lenses in the past and don’t want them going to waste because of a new camera, why not choose the Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera.
If we would have to pick the biggest downside to this camera, it would be the poor construction of the battery door. While you will have little trouble in the first couple of months, the battery door is known to be subject to premature wear and tear. While you are right to expect more for a camera of that price, the advanced features of this camera might be worth the risk.
- Effective sensor size 23 10 x 12 99 millimeter (super 35)
- Shooting resolutions 6144 x 3456 (6K) up to 50 fps/ 6144 x 2560 (6K 2 4 1) up to 60 fps/ 5744 x 3024 (5 7K 17 9) up to 60 fps/ 4096 x 2160 (4K DCI) up to 60 fps/ 3840 x 2160 (Ultra HD) Up To 60 fps/ 3728 x 3104 (3 7K 6 5 anamorphic) up to 60 fps/ 2868 x 1512 (2 8K 17 9) up to 120 fps/ 1920 x 1080 (HD) Up To 120 fps
- Maximum sensor frame rate Dependent on resolution and codec selected Project frame rates of 23 98 24 25 29 97 30 50 59 94 and 60 FPS supported off-speed frame rates up to 60 fps in 6K 2 4 1 120 fps in 2 8K 17 9 and 1080H
- Video inputs None/ video outputs 1x HDMI type a
- Active EF mount lens not included
10. Fujifilm FinePix S8600
Our last suggestion in this overview is none other than the Fujifilm FinePix S8600. While Canon and Nikon are often the first cameras people look at, Fujifilm should not be underestimated when it comes to great videos and photos.
Like a lot of the other cameras in our overview, the Fujifilm FinePix S8600 is a compact camera that is quite affordable to boot. Of course, it also comes with heaps of features, from a collapsible lens to a 16MP CCD sensor and ISO sensitivity of 6400.
There is also an option to record in hi-definition, more specifically 720/30p in a widescreen cinematic format. Because of this option, any recorded makeup video will be of great quality.
- 16MP 1/2.3in CCD sensor
- FUJINON lens with 36x optical zoom (25-900mm equivalent)
- 3in LCD monitor (460k dots)
- HD movies at 720p/30fps
- Powered by 3×AA alkaline batteries with an approx. 250-shot battery life
What Features Does A Camera For Makeup Artists Need?
Shooting makeup videos and photographs requires a great camera. Of course, this great camera also needs quite a few features to deliver outstanding Youtube videos or high-quality Instagram photos. So, what features must a camera for makeup filming and photography have?
An ability to cope with different lighting conditions: This one is pretty straightforward. Whether you are focussing on videos or photographs, shooting makeup tutorials can happen in all kinds of environments; this includes in low light. To ensure your videos and photographs remain sharp and detailed, always choose a camera that can cope with variable lighting conditions.
Optical zoom: To ensure you capture every detail of your lovely work as a makeup artist, you must be able to zoom into your work. Fortunately, most cameras come with a decent optical zoom these days, enabling you enjoy superior quality.
Check DSLR camera options first: Even though DSLR camera options are more expensive, they do tend to provide better results across the board. Most makeup artists prefer DSLR cameras for both videos and photography, this due to the large range of interchangeable lenses and the ability to manually change setting to maximise the quality of makeup videos and photography.
Lighting is key: Now this is the part where close attention should be paid by all makeup artists reading this article. Even if you have a decent camera for makeup videos and photographs, sometimes lighting is so bad you cannot get the quality videos or photographs you are after. To counter this particular problem, you may want to invest in some lighting equipment too.
Audio features: The best cameras for makeup artists also tend to have decent audio features. While this does not apply to those who solely take photographs for Instagram or another social media channel, it most certainly applies to anyone who needs to take quality videos for Youtube.
The best cameras for makeup artists tend to have the ability to capture decent audio, but this is not the case for all of them. If your current camera is not up to the task of taking decent audio for your makeup artist videos, perhaps it is time for some additional audio equipment?
Autofocus: When you do not have much experience shooting videos, you definitely want to look at an autofocus feature, preferably with an image stabilization feature.
Battery life: Professional bloggers and vloggers tend to shoot long videos or an astronomical amount of photographs. Since you don’t want to be interrupted while taking your video or photos, make sure that your camera has a good battery life.
Some of the more advanced makeup artist cameras come with a replaceable battery. If you have a full day of shooting makeup videos ahead, make sure to have a fully charged spare battery laying around.
How To Film A Makeup Tutorial
There are a number of things you need to think about when you film your first tutorial. If you have no idea where to start, here are some of the essentials you need to know.
Filming a tutorial with a busy background is never a good idea. After all, clutter in the background will distract from the tutorial.
While not everyone has the room to set up a customised backdrop, simply make sure that there isn’t any clutter in the background. Also, make sure that the background is even; for example, in the same wall colour.
Even those with a really good camera and lens might encounter problems because of low light. Therefore, having some additional lighting equipment will come in handy sooner or later.
Some people also like to record their videos later on during the day, during which you need lighting equipment as well. Fortunately, most lighting equipment is quite affordable and there are even some homemade equipment options out there.
Write A Script
While you do not need to write lines for yourself, you should write yourself a general outline of the topics you are looking to cover. Once you have your outline, create a transcript that you will use for your voice over.
Find The Most Suitable Video Editing Software
To make your videos even better, it is necessary to get some video editing software. There is much video editing software out there, this goes from paid software and subscription software to free software.
Please note that much video editing software can be cloud-based these days as well. With cloud-based video editing software, you can upload your video straight to the cloud. So, if your computer should fail before a YouTube upload, you always have a backup available.
If you are looking for some free video editing software, you could consider VSDC. The video editing software is suitable for windows computers and laptops. It runs pretty smoothly and creates professional results. So, if you do not have the budget for video editing software, then you can still create your first vlog with this free software.
Prepare Your Makeup Beforehand
The last thing you want to do is look for your makeup in the middle of filming, so make sure your makeup is laid out in front of you before you get started. Make sure your makeup brushes and palettes are clean, as this will make the result look more professional.
We always recommend doing a test video before you start the actual recording of your makeup video. Ensure your face is always in the frame and that you only film things that you want in the frame.
Don’t get disheartened if your first test video does not turn out the way you want it too. Beginners often need to experiment a little before their frame is just right.
Whether you are looking for a Youtube makeup camera or one for instagram, the required features are pretty similar across the board. Once you are familiar with the features that make your video and photo attempts great, you will have little problem finding a camera that suits your needs.
To choose the perfect camera for your needs, use the overview of features we described in this article. Be sure to also check out our recommended cameras, as this gives you easy and quick access to some of the best photo and video cameras out there.